Alexander Chee is the author of two novels, Edinburgh and The Queen of the Night. I read the latter of the two last year and it was one of my favorite books of the year. I was pleased to get a chance to talk with Alexander about that book, as well as his essay "How to Write an Autobiographical Novel," which will be included in his forthcoming collection of the same name. In our wide-ranging conversation we also talked about the work of Joan Didion, as well as a surprising influence on the structure of The Queen of the Night. For the second segment, Alexander chose our current political moment as his topic, as well as Ta-Nehisi Coates' recent essay "The First White President."
(Conversation recorded September 9, 2017.)
- Alexander Chee
- Alexander Chee - Edinburgh
- Alexander Chee - The Queen of the Night
- NYT - Kazuo Ishiguro Is Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature
- Kenny Coble on Kazuo Ishiguro
- Alexander Chee - How to Write an Autobiographical Novel
- Caitlin Flanagan - The Autumn of Joan Didion
- Janet Malcolm - Two Lives: Gertrude and Alice
- Lone Wolf and Cub
- Path of the Assassin
- Battle Angel Alita
- Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
- Ta-Nehisi Coates - The First White President
- Denis Johnson - Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond