Ginger Shulick Porcella is the Executive Director of the San Diego Art Institute, an experimental, bi-national contemporary arts center in San Diego, CA. In the three years since Ginger has been leading SDAI, it has grown to become one of most vibrant, innovative art spaces in San Diego, something that has been exciting for art-minded folks in San Diego, like me. In our conversation, Ginger and I talked her curatorial background, the changes she's made at SDAI, how it's grown, what's to come, and how she engages with the San Diego arts community. In the second segment, we talked about one of Ginger's favorite topics: conspiracy theories.
(Conversation recorded December 5, 2016.)
- San Diego Art Institute
- AMT Festival
- 2016 Southern California/Baja Biennial
- MIXTAPE: Volume 2
- Sticks of the Sun, Ashes of the Night
- SDAI Project Space @ Horton Plaza
- Medium Festival of Photography
- Unarius Academy of Science
- Heaven’s Gate
- Vice - The Berenst(E)ain Bears Conspiracy Theory That Has Convinced the Internet There Are Parallel Universes
- Mark Geston - Mirror to the Sky
About the Show:
Keep the Channel Open is a bi-weekly podcast featuring in-depth conversations with artists, writers, and curators. The show is hosted by San Diego-based photographer and writer Mike Sakasegawa.